Monday, September 15, 2008

Fifteen Views of Homeless People from the Perepective of Case Managers

1. Homeless people need to be around other people who are like they are because if they work, then they will be around smart people and realize we are just ripping them off and ripping off the system.

2. I was a violator and have been through programs with some of the homeless people so I will help them out if I can, otherwise, they might expose my past.

3. I know of recourses to help homeless people, but if I tell them and they find work and housing, they won't need me any more and I will be out of a job.

4. There are millions of dollars available to help the mentally ill, so I need to try to drive someone crazy.

5. If I help some of the homeless people who I know are well qualified, then they will be sitting in my chair.

6. I don't care about the homeless people, I just need a job.

7. One of the reasons I am a case manager is because I want to collect information since I know there is a market for that type of stuff.

8. I finished college and majored in social work because that is where the grants were, and now I have worked here two years so I have a reference to move on.

9. I collect enough money for my rent and the necessary expenses, and don't plan to let anyone rock the boat by trying to change the status quo by helping the homeless because I know it is just a game and I plan on trying to play the game.

10. There is so much political involvement in the shelters that I need to appease the politicians and look the other way when I see conflicts of interests, like special favors for those who collect signatures for various ballot initiatives.

11. I have been kicked around all of my life and now> is my chance to kick someone else around.

12. Some of the homeless people dress real snazzy and maybe I could find some fashionable clothes.

13. I have two year's experience as a case manager, and although I could have helped more people, at least I have a reference from the manager so I can get another job as a case manager.

14. When I first decided to become a case manager, I thought it would be like a doctor, that I could help heal people's wounds and locate work and housing for them, but I see people falling through the cracks who don't fit the mold of homeless outcasts and I am told by the shelter managers not to become involved.

15. I think I will quit my job as a case manager, move to another city and live in a homeless shelter while I study architecture because that is what I want to do.

The minister told me to do work I love and the money will follow.

The rabbi said I can learn to love what I ought to do, but he didn't tell me what he thought I ought to do.
The main key to success in life seems to be a happy balance between constructive solitude and persuasive social discourse
.

No comments: